Coenzyme Q10 in combination with selenium and other antioxidant supplements can help to prevent cancer or slow the progression of cancer. There are several plausible mechanisms that could explain an anti-cancer effect of supplementation with Coenzyme Q10, selenium, and other antioxidants:
- beneficial effect on cell signaling molecules (cytokines) that are important in immune system response
- anti-inflammation effect
- modulating effects on the expression of the tumor suppressor gene p53
- inhibiting effect on gene mutation
- inhibiting effect on tumor angiogenesis (angiogenesis = the development of new blood vessels that would feed tumor cells and help them spread)
- inhibiting effect on oxidative stress [Hertz & Lister]
The results of the ANICA study – the Adjuvant Nutritional Intervention in Cancer study – showed that adjuvant treatment of high-risk breast cancer patients with a cocktail of nutritional supplements including Coenzyme Q10 and selenium can slow the development of the cancer and permit the patients to live longer with the cancer under control [Lockwood].