Most recently, nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+ in its oxidized form and NADH in its reduced form) has been getting much attention as a possible anti-ageing substance.
- Like Coenzyme Q10, NAD+/NADH is a coenzyme that is present in nearly all human cells.
- Like Coenzyme Q10, NAD+/NADH exists in both an oxidized form and a reduced form.
- Like Coenzyme Q10, NAD+/NADH is needed for the cellular process of producing ATP (adenosine triphosphate) molecules are the high-energy molecules with easily broken phosphate bonds that release energy to the energy-requiring processes in the cells. Coenzyme Q10 is essential to the process of ATP production.... Read more about this term energy from the food that we eat.
- Like Coenzyme Q10, NAD+/NADH has an Antioxidants are substances that protect the cells and lipoproteins against the harmful effects of free radicals. They are substances that prevent the oxidation of other molecules and compounds. There are two broad categories of antioxidants: enzymatic and non-enzymatic. Non-enzymatic antioxidants are substances like Coenzyme Q10, vitamin C, vitamin E, glutathione, and various carotenoids. Prominent enzymatic antioxidants include catalase, glutathione peroxidase,... Read more about this term function in the cells protecting against the damage caused by oxidative stress.
- Like Coenzyme Q10, NAD+/NADH is essential for life. Without NAD+/NADH, the cells will not produce energy and will die.
- Like Coenzyme Q10, NAD+/NADH levels decrease as we get older.
Coenzyme Q10 and NAD+/NADH and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
The results of a 2015 Spanish study indicate that Coenzyme Q10 and NADH supplementation could be a beneficial treatment of Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a complicated disorder with an unknown cause. CFS is characterized by persistent fatigue that does not improve with rest and that cannot be explained by any identifiable medical condition. CFS is also known as myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) and systemic exertion intolerance disease (SEID). It is sometimes abbreviated ME/CFS. CFS patients typically have low levels of... Read more about this term and other chronic fatiguing illnesses for three reasons [Castro-Marrero]:
- Coenzyme Q10 and NADH are essential co-factors in the process of cellular Bio-energetics is both the process and the study of the flow and transformation of energy in living beings. Coenzyme Q10 has both a bio-energetics function and an antioxidant function in the body.... Read more about this term; they can boost mitochondrial function.
- Coenzyme Q10 and NADH are powerful free radical scavengers that mitigate Oxidation is the chemical reaction of a substance with oxygen. Peroxidation is the extreme form of oxidation that results from free radicals’ stealing electrons from lipids, either in the cell membranes or in the lipoproteins. The final product of lipid peroxidation is highly reactive malondialdehyde, a bio-marker for oxidative stress and damage.... Read more about this term and DNA damage caused by oxidative stress.
- Coenzyme Q10 and NADH supplementation can reduce the extent of oxidative damage and mitochondrial dysfunction associated with chronic fatigue syndrome.
In sum, oral CoQ10 plus NADH supplementation seems to be a safe and effective therapy to reduce fatigue, restore mitochondrial function and bio-energetic metabolism, and ameliorate oxidative damage in chronic fatigue syndrome [Castro-Marrero].